Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Week 10

Dear Family,

Almost every day, we take some time during class to read the Book of Mormon. We haven't gotten very far, but I've learned so much. As we read, we take time to stop and share insights that we have. We were only reading in 1st Nephi chapter 3 and 4 where Nephi and his brothers travel back to Jerusalem to ask Laban for the brass plates. Nephi and his brothers go to Laban's house two times, pleading with him for the brass plates. Both times, the brothers failed to obtain the plates. But Nephi never gave up. One his last attempt to journey toward the house of Laban, Nephi sees a drunken man passed out on the ground in front of him. It's Laban. He's able to kill Laban and obtain the brass plates for his family.

Most of the sisters in my class grew up in the church and are very familiar with Nephi and the brass plates. But as we read through it this time, I gained several insights. I've always seen Nephi's early attempts to get the brass plates as failures. But without those attempts, Nephi would have never known what Laban looked like. He would have never known where the treasury in Laban's house was, and he would have not been able to command himself in the same way that Laban did. The early attempts of Nephi to obtain the brass plates weren't failures at all. They were just part of Heavenly Father's plan. Through the early attempts, Nephi was able to act as Laban would, and obtain the brass plates. How awesome is that?

We also discussed the difference between the Spirit and the letter of the Law. During Nephi's time, the letter of the law clearly was: Thou shalt not kill. And yet, here Nephi was, being prompted to kill Laban so that his posterity would not dwindle in unbelief. We learn through Nephi's example that there are instances where the spirit of the law over rules letter of the law. But disobeying the letter of the law always, ALWAYS comes by a prompting of the Spirit. Nephi doesn't kill Laban just because the "ox is in the mire" so to speak. Nephi only kills Laban after a strong prompting from the Lord.

Just some musings to think about.

We also had mission conference last Sunday. We heard from all of the MTC presidency. They are incredible men. I cannot express how grateful I am to sit at the feet of such great men to learn from them.

I have my appointment with my doctor today. He'll hopefully let me know whether or not I'll have to stay a little bit longer in the MTC. I'm not sure what he'll say honestly. I'm working my best to make sure I get out of here on time, but it's still difficult to walk very far or sit for very long. And I still can't sit cross legged yet. Pray for me?

I hope the kids are doing well! I have letters for Rachel and Roland coming! As well as more pictures! Why haven't the others boys written me yet? I wrote Crystelle a letter awhile ago, but it got sent back to me a few days ago. Can you send me their address? Thanks for the letter Mom! That's so incredible that all the Sacramento stakes are fasting for a white Christmas!!! I hope you're all joining in the fast. Having the support of the members in missionary work is ESSENTIAL. I can't even tell you important it is! There's a bunch of Hmong Elders and a couple of Cambodian Elders that are on my floor. I've told them what the members are doing, and that they should plan for some baptisms their first transfer. ;0)

How is the school board? How is your hip mom?

I'm still doing great. Just pushing through with the Korean. I love it! and I can't wait to get to the field. I was thinking on Sunday about how blessed I've been through my surgery and the recovery time. There were so many people praying for me! I really had no idea how serious the whole situation had been until last Tuesday when I talked with Dr. Jackson. I really was in danger of losing my hip. But because so many people were praying for me, I'm whole again! I can walk up and down stairs! I can walk and run! What would have happened without those prayers!? It's horrible to think about. So thank you again to everyone who prayed for me. You have no idea what it's meant.

Sa-rong-ham-ni-da!
way-su-tu-ra-pu cha-mae
(love, westrup sister.... or sister westrup in other words)


No comments:

Post a Comment