Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Week 7 - I Think

Personal note from me...MOM.  Sister Westrup had been allowed to call home because of her surgery.  First it was to let us know she would be having surgery, then it was from the MTC clinic to let us know the surgery was going to be scheduled.  She received at least three 5 minute phone passes and at least one 15 minute phone pass before her surgery.  I tried to let her split it between her dad and I.  After her surgery I spoke with her at least antoher 3 times.  She is having a hard time staying awake while on the pain meds.  I have talked to her so much in the last week, I have run our of things to say.
 
Corrections to spelling and grammar have not been made so that you can see how hilarious she is when on pain meds.
 
 
Dear Family,
 
What a week! As some of you may know, I had a little surgery this week. And in fact, I hope this letter will be somewhat coherent since I have learned that while I am on pain medication I am a little less than coherent.
 
Last Thursday was a day of miracles. If you remember, I had a meeting with the surgeon. I was expecting to meet with him and then have surgery sometime this week. While we were in the waiting room, I struck up a conversation with the couple sitting next to us. They asked where we were serving. We said Korea. And then they mentioned that they had an adoptive daughter in Korea. But they said they weren''t sure if she was really going to church or not. I told them that although we weren''t going to Seoul, there are definetely sisters in my district that are going to Seoul that could look her up. So we got a referral in the waiting room!
 
Once we got in to see the surgeon, I was relieved. He was so incredibly nice! He explained what was wrong with me in a very clear way. And it turns out he was a mission president in Brazil. So he really wanted to see me up and moving around again. So, we decided to just go ahead and do the surgery the very next day (last Friday).
Every time I''ve left the MTC I''ve been with a different companion so that it''s not just my companion that misses things. The companion that went with me to surgery is one of my very favorite people in the MTC. Her name is Sister Washburn. She''s from Colorado. And we''ve decided that we are very much kindred spirits. She told me some amazing stories while they tried to stick the IV in. I barely even felt the pricks because she was so captivating. I was scheduled for the first surgery of the day. So the Doctor came in and asked if I had any questions. I said no. But I did ask if we could say a prayer first. So he did! It was a beautiful prayer. I''m glad I asked for it. After, the nurse said she''s never heard anyone ask him that since he''s been here.
So then they started giving me drugs. And the last thing I remember is being wheeled around the corner saying, "This is just like Grey''s Anatomy"
 
And then I woke up.
 
Apparently the nerve block didn''t work because I was in a lot of pain. And I couldn''t go to the bathroom by myself, so they just decided to keep me over night. I said some pretty interesting things... I  can''t remember most of them. But at one point I turned to sister washburn and said, "Do you want to know what I''m thinking right now? I think that the lost city of Atlantis really is Cuba." And that was that... hahaha.
 
So I was able to stay overnight. They sent my companion home. It was weird being all by myself. But I slept for most of it.
I''ve been heavily medicated every since then. On Sunday, I got up to go to Sacrament meeting. But I feel asleep during the water part. The poor Elder was just holding the tray in front of me waiting for me to take a little cup. But I was asleep! So I have no idea how long he waited.
 
It's been such a blessing to have Sister Painter as a companion. Since she''s a nurse, I really don''t have any qualms about her helping me out when I need it. She''s more of a trooper than I am. I''m always asking her to helpe me out with something.
 
Well, I think I had more to say, but I just took some medicene. So I''m very sleepy right now... Earlier, my companion was wheeling me around in a wheel chair and I was shooting at the Elders with my crutches... I thought it was really funny. None of the Elders laughed though.
 
Anywho, I think I''m going to sleep some more. I''ll try and write people back today. But I can''t guarntee anything. But thanks for the prayers! I sure need them!
 
Well, I''m very sleeeeeepy! So untile next week!
 
-Westrup cha-mae
ps. Keva. you promised me a letter last week. you''re fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment