Monday, October 24, 2011

I've Forgotten What Week It Is!

So dear family and friends,
I want to thank everyone so much for all of the prayers these past couple weeks. I don't know where I'd be without them.
It's true, I'm having hip surgery. If you're asking yourself , "What the heck happened!?" Don't worry. I am too.
Nothing happened really. Just a bit of pain. So I went to the doctor, who referred me to another doctor, who reffered me to get an MRI (yeah, I've totally gotten to leave the MTC twice now).
We got the results of the MRI back yesterday. I have a small tear and some fraying in the cartilage of my right hip socket. So I'll get to see a surgeon on Thursday.
 
But no worries! I'm so glad this is happening now and not in the mission field. And it's only a minor scope surgery. So I won't be coming home, but I may be delayed in the MTC.
 
Despite the pain, I'm glad because I've learned a lot going through this whole process. For whatever reason, most of what we've learned in class has been easy for me to pick up. But now with all the doctors' appointments and physical therepy, I'll be missing class time and study time. I think that's the most upsetting thing actually. I love the MTC! As crazy as that sounds to some people, I really do! I hate leaving and falling behind (although my companion still swears that I understand Korean a lot better than she does). I've also learned to rely on my companion more. She's in the nursing program at BYU, and she interned at the Mayo clinic this summer, and she's had a similar surgery, more invasive though, on her knee. Pretty fortunate that she's my companion huh? Heavenly Father always seems to know what he's doing.
 
Things always have more value the harder you have to work for them. Whenever I walk, sit, or stand, I just think of who I'm doing it for: the Koreans. Every step that I take, every pain I endure, every trip to the doctor's office, brings me closer to teaching the Korean people about the love that Heavenly Father has for them. It makes it all so worth it to me.
 
But the best growth that I've taken away from this whole experience is coming closer to the Savior. Alma 7:11-12 has never meant more to me than it does now. I wish I could type what it says quickly, but unfortunately, my time is almost up.
 
I know that the reason we go through trials is to gain knowledge. That may seem like a cruel way for us to learn what we're supposed to. But I know that more than ever! So I'm grateful this is happening. I'm learning a lot, and I'm grateful for every little thing I'm learning. Especially the patience.
 
-Westrup 자매
 
ps. the new district comes tomorrow. We are so excited!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment