Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Greenie Transfer Email

So, we finally found a place to email without the dangers of evil security guards breathing down our necks. RIght now I'm seating in the comfort of a little cafe called cafe bene, sipping on citrus honey tea, trying (albeit unsucessfuly) not to listen to the jazz music playing.
This first transfer has been INCREDIBLE. I can't believe how blessed I've been with my trainer, our investigators, our district, and the ward members.
 
My trainer is such a good missionary. Even if we have to walk a little slower, or take buses instead of walking places, she is always doing missionary work. She's so positive and happy, people listen to her, even if they were stand offish at first. I'm trying to be more like her! But I still get a little nervous to take to people.
 
Our investigators are so golden! I know that may sound like a cliche thing that people say. But it's true! The Koo sisters that I've mentioned before had to have their baptismal dates pushed back a little bit. They weren't able to come to church because of the holidays. The little sister is exactly like Rachel, only Korean. She totally loves having time with the missionaries all to herself. The older sister is the BEST. I always get a little nervous teaching her, wondering when we'll teach something that will be hard, or that she just won't accept. But she always accepts everything. She asks questions, and when she prays, it's so beautiful. She has such faith. She lived in China for the past 10 years, so she's fluent in Chinese. I've been searching for a picture of the Hong Kong temple for the past couple weeks to show her. I finally found one and I'm so excited to show her! She lights up when we teach her. There's this spark of recognition, and I know that the truth of what we're teaching her, and the Spirit, speaks to her soul in way that nothing else in her life has before. She knows it's true. All of it.  When we taught her about modern day prophets this last week, she just kept nodding and saying, "This makes so much sense. If God had propehts in the Bible, of course he would have them today." She totally wants to get married in the temple. But she's had this boyfriend. My companion and I were scheming different ways to get rid of him, and then she told us during our last lesson that they had broken up the night before! Yes! We didn't even have to pray for it. Now we're picking out eligible members in the ward for her to marry. We also told her this at the last lesson, and she's all for it.
 
The members here are so great about helping out when we need it. Yesterday, we had the most delicious dinner appointment yet. The dad is a cook. And the food was just incredible! One of the sons got back from a mission in Pusan pretty recently, so he's always willing to help out with lessons (we've picked him out for the older Koo sister, although neither of them know it yet). Since I'm still a greenie, they all think my horrible Korean is adorable. And the dad's speciality, cheen bang, is my favorite food. He said he'd totally make some for us. I had no idea that's what he said until after the dinner when my companion was talking about it. She thought I had understood because I was nodding my head and saying yes to everything he was saying. That happens a lot around here.
 
In the MTC, the branch president's wife, Sister Shin, would always talk about how we would eventually have kim-chee for breakfast if we were dedicated missionaries. I haven't eaten kim-chee for breakfast, YET. But I'm beginning to crave it all hours of the day. And I think that the morning I eat kim-chee for breakfast won't be too far away.
 
I'm obessessed with the food here. It's SSOOOOOOO SOOOOOOO delicious. I don't even know if I can describe in words how fulfilling it is. We have another investigator (who came to church yesterday! yay!) that fed us the BEST meat. I stuffed my face. Koreans are so funny. They will never let you stop eating until all the food is gone.... I'm totally fine with that....
 
We have a couple other investigators. The one that came to church yesterday is great. She's a fun lady, in her mid-50's. But she lives alone. She asked us in the first lesson if she would have friends if she came to church. UM YES! of course you'll have friends. She really liked Relief Society. Who doesn't?! Relief Society is the best!
 
Well, we're meeting our zone for some sort of meat buffet soon. So I should probably get going. It's supposed to be really delicious. I'll take notes so I can describe it to the boys in full detail next email.
 
Christmas sounded fun! Crystelle and Russell's skit sounded hilarious! I knew I had to have at least one sibligh that wasn't lame and could do something creative at Christmas.
I'll keep Elder Carlson in my prayers. I don't know how hard it is to go home, but I know how hard it is to be in the hospital when you're a missionary.
Tell Aunt Geri I'm praying for her too! She sounds like she's just trooping through everything! Is there anything they want from Korea?
 
Ok, I really do have to be going now!
Love you!
웨스트럽 자매

No comments:

Post a Comment