Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Transfer 2 Week 1: In which Sister Westrup discovers what it's like to be a red head for a day

I think the only down fall to Sister Bush and and being companions is that we prey on each other's spontaneous impulses. Well, I don't prey so much on Sister Bush's as she preys on mine. For example, this last week and turned to Sister Bush and said, "I think I should dye my hair."
"YES! Let's do it!!!!!"
"I've always wondered what I would like as a red head... What do you think?"
"Yes! Let's do it! I love dying hair."
 
So, in a brief lapse of judgement, I decided that it would be a good idea to dye my hair red. Not a crazy red. The box said the color was "Grape Wine". That should've tipped me off that it was a mistake. But, dye my hair we did. Sister Bush is indeed very skilled at dying hair, and did quite a fantastic job. What we didn't account for was the black color in my hair from this summer that is beginnging to grow out. After we were finished, I blowed dried my hair and turned to Sister Bush. "How does it look?" I asked. "I don't know sister... It's hard to say." WHAT HAD I DONE? I ran to the bathroom mirror. It actually didn't look too terribly awful (in the light of our apartment). And then, in another lapse of judgement, I pulled my hair over my eyes and bgan wishing that I had bangs again. To which Sister Bush replied, "I can cut some for you." As she cut them, I asked if she had ever cut hair before. "Once..... When I was 8. My sister's hair was never the same," she replied.
 
My bangs are actually fine. But the hair color was a problem. In the sun light, it was ok. But when we met the the elders at the church, I looked in the mirror and realized that in most light, there was a huge line in the middle of my bangs. Red hair on top. Black on the bottom. Everyone assured me that it didn't look that bad. But I knew the truth. I have eyes. I can see. I suppose that I should also mention that we have President interviews tomorrow..... That's right. I looked like a crazy pants (which isn't too unusual for me probably) but I knew I couldn't go to President interviews with half red hair.
 
So we dyed it back to black Saturday night. Just in time for church the next day. Oh the straights I get myself into....
 
And now for some miracles of the week!
We were door knocking in some apartments. Which isn't the most effective way to find new investigators, but it's the warmest, and the least intimidating. We knocked on this one door and Sister Bush began talking (in Korean of course), "Hi! We're missionaries serving in the area. We have a very happy message that we are sharing with all people about how we can live with our families for eternitiy. Do you have a few minutes so that we could introduce our message more?" The lady said yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, we told here about our English/gospel program, and she agreed to meet with us the next day. When we went back, her sister was with her, and they said that we could start teaching both of their families. eaewhaoewh oehfp aoierhp aoihrpa hgihq9348 hgrhi g It's so exciting! I can't even type in English words!!!!!!
 
There's a girl about our age that's been coming to English class for a couple of weeks now. The Elders gave us our number, and when we tried to meet with her one on one, she wasn't interested. So, she's just been coming to English class. Last week, we had a really fun English class (mostly thanks to Sister Bush, she has the best games). I knew after class that I just had to ask her if she wanted to meet with us one on one. And when I asked her, she was totally excited and she really wanted to meet with us. New investigator!!!!!!!!!!!
 
And then, there is another girl we met on Saturday (my purple/red hair day). Her English name is Jane, and she was a referral from the Elders. She wants to practice English. So we talked with her a little bit and explained that we can meet one on one and teach English for 30 mins, and then gospel for 30 mins. She said she liked that and that she wants to meet with us!!!!!!! And she said her hobby is volunteer work, but she's frustrated because there aren't many volunteer opportunites in Suwon that she can find.... (insert sneaky Sister Westrup smile here) Oh boy! Have we got some volunteer opportunities for her!!!!!!!!
 
Things are so busy, we really don't have much time to proselyte. It's crazy! That never happens in Korea.
My hip is doing alright. I've actually been in touch with the area doctor about it. He's supposed to call us today to ask more about it. I might have to get some tests done. But that will be ok because I'll most likely go to Seoul. Which would not only be really fun, but it would mean that Sister Bush and I could stop at Taco Bell. (I don't think that last part needs any explanation on why that would feel my soul with such joy)
 
We're having some trouble getting our investigators to church. The older lady just got a job working nights. She doesn't get off work until just before church starts. The Koo sisters have family coming in from China this month. It's rough. I'm praying for some miracles this next week.
Oh! That reminds me! Next week is the lunar new year. Everything is going to be close so we won't be able to email until next Wednesday at the earliest. I don't think we have any special plans. Yet. We're hoping for a dinner appointmet... We'll see.
 
Only a few pictures this week. There's giant gates all over Suwon! We walk by them every day. This one is on the way to emailing. The dragons are painted on the roof, and there's one picture of me, and one of Sister Bush.
 
 
That's all for this week! The gospel is true! Don't forget to share it with everyone around you!
 
웨스트럽 자매

No comments:

Post a Comment