Monday, February 13, 2012

Transfer 2, WEek 6, The End of Bustrup (Sister Bush and Sister Westrup)

Dear Family,
 
Sister Bush is leaving this week and I am so distraught about it. I kept having nightmares about getting new companions that didn't like me. Ok, that's an exaggeration. I only had one dream that I got a new companion that didn't like me. And it wasn't scary enough to really qualify as a nightmare. The AP called this morning with the name of my new companion. We were totally at the bath house when we got the call. In fact, we had just opened our lockers to put our clothes back on when the phone rang. I think the Elder would have been mortified if he knew where we were.... Oh well... SO my new companion's name is Sister Eggbert. I met her briefly at the Christmas party. She's really nice. The only thing I know about her is that she's from Idaho. Which is perfect because my very favorite people are from Idaho (Ali, Jette... etc...) so we should get along smashingly. She seems a little quiet. Which only worries me because Suwon is so CRAZY. Sister Bush said it's the craziest area she's ever served in. The weirdest stuff happens to us here. I think it might be because we're so close to Seoul. And the fact that crazy drunken old men just love her hair. (She has to keep it up most days for our safety).
 
A miracle happened yesterday. THE OLDER KOO SISTER CAME TO CHURCH! Your prayers worked! Now just keep praying they both come next week, and that they keep coming so they can get baptized. Sister Bush spoke because it was her last Sunday. :0( So the ward also fed us lunch. It was curry. And it was delicious. I think Katie (that's the English name we gave her because she loves Tom Cruise) really liked Sacrament meeting. The sisters in the ward put on a special musical number. She said she got goose bumps during the singing. But it wasn't goose bumps. It was totally the Spirit. The younger sister, Sunny, was sick. So she couldn't come to church. We think that their parents might be opposing the church a little bit. They still want us to meet with them because of the English. But we're not sure how they feeling about the religion aspect of it. But the sisters are still reading the Book of Mormon really well. We're going to have baptisms next transfer. I just know it. We just love those sisters sooo much. They're going to be great memebers of the church. Especially Sunny.
 
Our dinner appointments this week weren't too crazy.... Well, they kind of were. There's this YSA brother that likes to feed the missionaries. He went to BYU-H, and has perfect English. Kind of.  He took us and the Elders out last Monday night. And then proceeded to tell us all of his dating woes. Loudly too. It was hilarious. He kept on saying things like, "I really shouldn't say this, because sisters are here... But...." And then we had dinner with the fun couple (the wife wouldn't let the Elders do the dishes). Sister Ahn was tired. So she caved and let the Elders do the dishes, but then she laughed to us behind their back and said that she was just going to do them again later because she needed to heat up some hot water.... Poor Elders.
 
This last week, we had such an adventure trying to find the place where we're supposed to register. We ended up finding it after it was closed. And we still haven't registered. But we started door knocking at this place that seemed a little bit more run down... Even for Korea. There were a lot of old poeople that lived in this building. I knocked on this door. And when I offered this lady a pamphlet, she started crying and said she couldn't read because she grew up during the way and girls weren't allowed to read, but they were made prostitutes for the Japanese. And her husband and son died during the war. And so she's just all alone. And then we taught her a short lesson about how Heavenly Father loves her. And she said we were good people, but then she just started crying harder because she said we were her guests but she had nothing to offer us. It was really sad.
 
Another day, we met this man. We didn't catch his name, so we just call him Simon. We knocke on the door. And he was alone. He wanted us to come in. But we couldn't without a woman being there. So he just talked to us right in his living room while we stood outside. He LOVES everything American. And he asked some really good questions about why we should believe in Jesus Christ, and why we should believe in God. I think the answers to that are pretty simple. Belief in God gives us direction in life. A sense of purpose, an identity. Life without belief in God would be so dark I think. And God has given us so many things, it seems only natural that we would want to serve him by serving our fellow man and follow His commandments. Anywho, Simon only had five teeth. He was a retired professor. And we're sending the Elders back to follow up. We thought he might come to church. But he didn't....
 
Oh, I almost forgot to tell you about the meds and how they're working out. I think the steroids are helping. I mailed the MRI results to Dr. Jackson last week though. I'll just have to wait and see what he says. I tried hiking a little bit last P-day, and then running the next day in the morning. Probably not the best idea. But things don't hurt like they used to. The other stuff seems to be working too. I'll know next week. Did mom hear from Dr. Kopecky?
Good luck with surgery next week Mom!
 
Here are some pictures of our p-day adventure last week. We went hiking around the giant wall all around the city. There was a spot with an archery range. But we couldn't do it because our District Leader said it was techiniqually a fire arm.... boooo.
 
Oh, stuff I need if you can send it: Harrison's address. More mittens like the ones I got at Christmas (those saved my life mom thaaaaaaaank you soooo much!), and Uno. Koreans love to play it but it's hard to find here, and really expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment