Monday, February 13, 2012

Nothing much of consequence has happened since last Thursday. Friday was taken up with lessons and planning meeting. Saturday was more studying and proselyting. Saturday night we had dinner with one of our favorite investigators. She can't come to church right now because she works Sunday mornings at the hospital. We walked up to her door Saturday night and there were no lights on anywhere. Sister Bush knocked. But there was no answer. So she knocked again. Then she knocked a third time. Our investigator finally answered. She's been working so hard, I'm afraid she's worn a little thin. Her house is a little small, and whenever we come over, she usheres us into her bedroom/living room. And bundles us up right in her bed. This time was no exception. She was so tired though! I felt so bad. But it's offsensive if we ask them not to cook for us. Koreans are so generous. She started spreading out newspapers and cardboard on the floor. I had no idea what was going on. I turned to Sister Bush. "It's for the grease" she said. And then, our investigator brought in a little burner. Only, it seemed a little broken. It wouldn't turn on. When it finally did turn on, the flames were SO HIGH. Like a FOOT HIGH!!!!!! And then little spurts of gas would go through the burner and the flames would get even higher. In my mind, I was strategizing was to put out the fire if one should start. I honestly thought we were going to get burned. There we were huddled in this Korean woman's bed while she started to cook us duck meat on her bedroom floor. DUCK MEAT IS SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD!  She also gave us tons of different types of Kim-chee and fried rice. And then she started telling us about this Alien movie from the 80's. I didn't know what was going on. But she was so animated and explaining things in such detail that it was terrifying Sister Bush. (sigh) another hilarious Korean dinner appointment. We learned that night (as this sister is very informative and tells us all the dietary benefits of the food she gives us) that duck meat is very healthy. It has good oils. You can tell because they don't harden in room tempature. What she neglected to tell us was that duck meat can make a person extermely.... gassy. A fact that Sister Bush and I very well learned that night..... But I think that is all I will reveal on that account.
 
Sunday was a little frustrating. The Koo sisters have promised so many times that they will come to church. Sometimes they have legitmate excuses. But they didn't this Sunday. They promised us they would come. They promised the member that we teach with that they would come. Sunday morning, we texted and called the older one every 15 minutes. She never answered. But every other day of the week, she always answers her phone. We see here every day of the week except for Mondays and Sundays. It's so strange. She tells us everyting, but we can't get her to tell us the real reason why she won't come to church. We know if she comes, the little sister will come to. She's come once herself already.

Sometimes when people use their agency, it's frustrating.
 
Today I read a really good talk from the April 2011 General Conference: Waiting on the Road to Damascus by President Uchtdorf. One thing he said that really stuck out to me was that we covenant to be sensitive to the needs of those around us, and then minister to those in need. I was a couple times in the MTC that I have a talent for sensing the moods and needs of those I care about. But it's been harder for me here because even though I sense the needs of the ward members, I'm not so good at the follow through because my Korean is so basic. But that is something that I'm not going to let hold me back any more! The Spirit will always make up for the Korean I like. So that's my challenge to you this week. Be sensitive to the needs of those around you and try to meet them. When I've done this in the past, I've been able to experiece some of the most beautiful moments of my life, trying to be an insturment in the hands of God.
 
That's all for this week!
 
But before I sign off, some pictures!
 
THere's a few of my district from a couple weeks ago. We were playing a really fun game called BANG! It's an American game. Trying to learn it is always really complicated. But once everyone figures out how to play it's really fun. We also have a ping pong table inside the church. It's LEGIT. (I do not play however as I am un coordinated. I tell the Elders it's because of my hip... not true). The other pictures of of TACO BELL in Seoul. We'll have some more of it on Thursday. And we also made a quick little stop to see the Seoul temple. It's in such a busy city, but it's some how so secluded and peaceful. I think that might be all the pictures....
 
Tell Russell and Crystelle good luck with the baby. I hope she's doing well.
 
웨스트럽 자매

No comments:

Post a Comment